Thursday, January 19, 2012

Confession of a Lizard Person!

I went to the doctor's this morning. (Gee, Carrie, why did you go there?) Well… I have… a… wart! Oh, I know, it’s so gross! I feel like a lizard person or something. You know those ‘wart kids’ you were in class with growing up that were always picking at warts on their thumbs? Well that was never me. Never! And here I am at twenty three and the Lord apparently decides this is an opportune time to stick one right on my heel.
And wouldn’t you know, I learned something from it. Guess the Lord was right. Imagine that.
You need to know something about my dermatologist. He’s absolutely amazing at freezing warts because— oh how should I state this?— he has no mercy. He doesn’t use one of those misting guns, oh no no my friend. He soaks a q-tip in liquid nitrogen and then smothers it all over your wart. Like glazing a turkey or pouring syrup on pancakes. It kills! And normally the wart dies on his first attempt.
But today, I had the pleasure of receiving a fourth round of wart-marinating (lucky me!) My sweet husband Dan always accompanies me so he can help me hobble back down to the car afterward, and this morning as we were walking out together I thought about that little wart and how well it paints a picture of sin. My wart is barely the size of a dime. He’s a little guy. Yet when I leave him untreated for a few days pretending he’ll just disappear on his own, I find I can’t walk. The pain is too great and I have to limp around and put all my weight on the side of my foot. I can’t run or work out. I can’t walk around the classroom constantly like I need to be doing. Suddenly this little dime-sized bump is causing vast disorder in my life all because it’s situated in the perfect place to do so: my foot.
The same goes for sin. It may seem little and insignificant at times, like telling a white lie or casually slipping my needs in front of my husbands’, but the problem is that sin lives in our hearts, the perfect place to cause mass destruction. And if left unchecked, everything else in our lives is affected, not just work outs and classroom management but friendships, marriages, our priorities, our witness, and most importantly, our walk with God.
There is no dime-sized sin in the eyes of a Holy and perfect King. He wants it all frozen and killed, no matter how painful it may be to us. It never feels good to be stripped of our idols but the Lord always replaces it with Himself. We may hobble around for a few days, but He knows that once its healed, we’ll be better able to run. J




PS... I don't care how fun and 'touristy' it seems, never ever ever walk around barefoot in Fiji.


Agape,
CC

2 comments:

  1. Okay so I totally had a wart on my big toe back in like 5th or 6th grade and had to go through 3 treatments of that stuff. The last one was HORRIBLE :(

    I feel your pain. Love you friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I mean you probably shouldn't have tried to operate yourself instead of just going straight away ;) but yea it kills I know.

    ReplyDelete