Sunday, November 29, 2015

Master Bedroom Update

Hello, sweet friends! Happy Christmastime! I can't wait to read all about your holiday adventures. :)

As with my last post, beige is officially out of the interior design world and everything is going gray, especially for sell-back value. So we updated our master to match the trend.... AND I'M OBSESSED. I stinking love this room. If I decide not to have a life one day, this is where you'll find me.

We updated the paint, blinds, and a few little touches here or there. (Like a barn door! Check out the barn door! I'm in love.) I'd love to hear your feedback on this room!

And yes, kitty Pippa made quite a few appearances while I was taking pictures. 

(Click to enlarge)
 One of the few "rules" we have for our marriage-- we always kiss goodnight. Angry, exhausted, slaphappy, sick-- doesn't matter. We always kiss goodnight. :)

(Click to enlarge)

(Click to enlarge)

(Click to enlarge)
Dan and I made this sign.:)  We used two fences post cut down to size and then distressed them to look all vintagey. Next, we took aluminum sheeting, painted it with chalkboard paint, and used big, decorative screws to adhere it to the fence posts. 

This little statute of ours is so near and dear to our hearts, I really wanted to display it on something we built together... And I wanted it to use chalkboard paint... Because I like it I'm a trend-following conformist. 

(Click to enlarge)

(Click to enlarge)
I painted the frame and the matting of the sailboat picture black and white to match the gray in the room. I had NO IDEA how difficult it was to re-frame a picture but (thanks to my resourceful husband) it turned out just fine. And nobody died. 

(Click to enlarge)
Ugh-- I'm still absolutely in love with these floor-to-almost-ceiling windows. And so is Miss Pippa. If I can't find her around the house, she's normally camped out here watching birds. 

(Click to enlarge)
So big!!
(Click to enlarge)
 And here, sweet friends, is our barn door!

(Click to enlarge)
We bought an old door from Habitat for Humanity (of course) and stripped it of paint (and stripped, and stripped, and stripped and cried and screamed and had a nervous breakdown and stripped some more). Then I sanded it down and stained it using Miniwax's Classic Gray. It. Took. FOREVER. So much so that I haven't done the backside yet and to be honest, I don't know if I have it in me. I might just paint it. 

But... All that said... I'm super excited about the result. 

(Click to enlarge)

(Click to enlarge)

(Click to enlarge)
If you want my advice on how to do a barn door cheaply, here it is:  refinish an old door like we did, but save and splurge on the hanging hardware. It's a 50-100 pound moving object on your wall. The last thing you want is for it to be unsafe. I did the research on Pinterest and blogs for you. I promise. Just buy the real thing. We purchased ours for under $75 on Amazon. 

I know, I know. *Thanks, Mom.* But seriously-- compromising on safety in my book is not worth saving a few bucks. Plus... This hardware is gorgeous

(Click to enlarge)

(Click to enlarge)


(Click to enlarge)

Pippa's like-- Ya done yet? I wanna eat / cuddle / accidentally scratch your face.
(Click to enlarge)
 ...Happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr...

Doh!
(Click to enlarge)
And, in honor of Keeping It Real-- here's a little look into the reno life and what you'll find right now on the other side of that barn door. 

(Click to enlarge)
 A hot mess!!

(Click to enlarge)
And a handsome husband hard at work.

Welcome to our current master bath, sweet readers. Subway tile + wood tile floor + glass bowl sinks = I can't wait to write a blog post on the finished product. :) :)

(Click to enlarge)

(Click to enlarge)
Detail time! 

Here's that jar of pennies from one of my previous posts. As with our kissing goodnight rule, this will always have a home somewhere in our bedroom. 

(Click to enlarge)
I bought this little yellow, glass bowl in an antique consignment shop in Plaza Midwood to hold all those too-chunky bracelets. I think it's so adorable.


(Click to enlarge)
 New frame, but same inserts as in our old master bedroom post-- our vows from our wedding.


(Click to enlarge)
So that's everything! I hope you enjoyed it. I love this room so much. I think it's cozy and romantic, I love just curling up in front of those big windows with a book (and Pippa nearby, of course,) and reminiscing about all the lovely memories Dan and I have shared in this room.

Here's to many more lazy Saturdays spent in bed with good coffee and great company. :)

And, last but not least, no Southern bedroom would be complete without a monogram to greet you at the door. 

(Click to enlarge)
Thanks for reading! As always, I would LOVE your thoughts and to hear about any projects you've been working on. Let's link up! :) 

Agape,
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment