Sunday, November 17, 2013

James 4:13-17

The sermon this morning was on James 4:13-17, which talks about our lives being short, fast, and completely out of our control. How many songs have been written about life moving too quickly? How many grandmas and grandpas have told you to 'Enjoy things while you can.' That's why I'm eating lots and lots of cookies before my metabolism slows down. . . :)

But if I'm being truthful with you, the brevity of life isn't new to me. In fact, I believe that I gathered a fairly firm grasp on it at a very young age. Don't know why-- there were no near-death experiences or tragic passings to produce this quality in me-- but I always knew. Life will go fast. I need to take advantage of it.

When I was in college, I bought a guitar. I love to write so much that I thought writing songs would be equally as enjoyable. Turns out playing guitar is vastly different from the piano I fiddled with in middle school. And I have to let my fingers get calloused? What? Gross. I gave myself one solid summer of learning chords and playing 'Lone Rider' until my fingers bled, then gave my guitar away. My reasoning was not that guitar was too difficult. It was that I just didn't enjoy it. And life for me was too short to be spent on things I only halfway enjoyed.  (Ain't nobody got time for dat!)

And at twenty-one, I began assessing my hobbies and deciding which were worth the investment of my sweet and precious time. Running? Yes, I adore running and will continue with that. Guitar? Nope. Piano? No, but I will keep one song memorized. Telelvision shows? I'll keep up with one show each season, maybe, but books? Yes! I will read every book I can get my hands on! Writing? Absolutely, maybe I'll start a blog... :)

Who does that at twenty-one?? Most of my friends in college still viewed their time as infinite, like they had thirty years left to take up guitar should their heart desire so. 

And to some extent, don't they? Am I the one who is acting oddly? Should I be less frugal with my time? My heart just gets so stirred up when I think about the brevity of my life-- it's probably the reason I'm so quick to make productivity an idol. But it's also forced me to enjoy the things I'm doing, to give thanks to God for these enjoyments, to find what will point me to Christ and cling to it. So in that regard, I'm so thankful the Lord showed me life's quickness while I'm still young enough that most of my days are ahead of me. 

Statistically, most of my days are still ahead of me. Readers, please don't let me become one of the young bloggers who writes like she knows everything. I don't. I absolutely don't. I write because I like to write, that's all. And there are so many older, wonderful, wise women in my life who I desperately want to learn from. And when it comes to the brevity of life, I could benefit from another lesson (or another fifty...) on using my time productively, on making my life missional, and on finishing well in the end. But when it comes to enjoyment-- on finding reasons to smile and finding the gospel and Christ in everything-- I feel the Lord has taught me this well. Not perfectly, but well. And I'm so so grateful for that!

So here's the video my pastor played at church. I saw this video floating around Facebook and purposefully avoided watching it because I knew my heart would just begin twitching with productive thoughts, angry at my twenty-five years that are gone. But it's good. And needed. And I hope you enjoy it. I hope you enjoy everything in your day today, because the Lord gave it to you. He decided it years and centuries and eternities ago, and there's nothing in your control to make it otherwise. If it's difficult, I'm sorry, but God is with you and it will go by quickly compared to eternity. If it's beautiful, praise Jesus, and savor it intently. 


I love you all dearly!! I just drank a white peppermint mocha and I hope you are out there getting your first holiday drink of the season as well!! :) 

Agape,
CC

No comments:

Post a Comment